Go Back   Forums > Self-Coaching Forums > Ask Dr. Joe

Notices

Old 09-24-2005, 02:08 PM

Default [ed: phobic fear of urinating]

Dear Dr. Joe, I am a 39 year old male in the navy. I have a terrible time going pee in front of toher people. I have no problem going in front of my wife. I also have no problems being naked in front of other men when goitn to or leaving the shower. I do ot do any drugs. You askl me why this is a problem well in the Navy we have urinalysis. I ahve terrible time giving a specimen since they look right over our shoulders. soon this is going to get me in big trouble, If I can not leran to pee on command. I do hydrate myself to th epoint of explosion, but still I am unble to go.
What do you sugest.
Matthew
Old 09-24-2005, 04:46 PM

Matthewó
Youíre being introduced to the incredible power of the mind. What you tell yourself and what you believe is what you become. Think of it as a form of self-hypnosis. Youíve got yourself feeling almost phobic about urinating and this is where insecurity enters the picture. Your insecurity is anticipating problems (ìWhat am I going to do if I canít urinateÖ?î), what I call a loss of control (i.e., you wonít be able to urinate and this will lead to your feeling helpless, powerless, and out of control). This anticipatory anxiety is a common component of phobias. The more you anticipate, worry, fear, or doubt, the more the anxiety builds and the more problems you have. Youíre going to need to break this cycle by getting at the sourceóinsecurity. Iíd like you to take a look at some of the articles on this website and consider purchasing my books. I use a technique in the books called Self-Talk. Self-Talk is the ability to recognize the habit nature of insecurity. Habits, all habits, need to be fed in order to persist. Learn to starve a habit and it will die. Your habit of anticipatory anxiety is being fed currently by your doubts and fears. Self-Coaching is a way to stop this process. Itís all about self-trust. What you ultimately need to learn is to let-go of reflexive, insecure thinkingógetting out of your overthinking, congested mindóand let your body function the way itís capable of.

Iíve worked with many similar anxiety symptoms (i.e., thinking about swallowing and finding it impossible to swallow, shortness of breath, fear of losing control of the bowels, feeling light-headed or dizzy, etc.), all of which are connected to the belief that you ìcanít.î Self-Coaching is a way to stop trying so hard. The only reason youíre trying so hard is because insecurity and distrust has convinced you that you have to. With trust, you donít have to try, you just allow your body to do what its meant to doófunction naturally without your intervention. One of my favorite expressions from AA is: let go, let God. Whether you ascribe to a higher power of not, the adage is extremely helpful. Let go of your reflexive, controlling, insecure thinking and trust (whether it be God, or Self, or you six million years of evolutionary hard-wiring). Your body wonít fail you. If you let it. Learning to let go of insecurity-driven thinking is what will liberate you from this struggle.

Disclaimer: The diagnosis of clinical anxiety or depressive disorders requires a physician or other qualified mental health professional. The information provided is intended for informational purposes only. Please understand that the opinions shared with you are meant to be general reference information, and are not intended as a diagnosis or substitute for consulting with your physician or other qualified mental health professional.

Yours,
Dr. Joe